Often a bride will wish to include the smaller members of her family or friends for her wedding party. These flower girls or ring bearers can be awfully cute in a wedding party but at times, can be plain awful as well. Why is that? Well, often, this is the first time a small child will be exposed to so much attention placed on him. We as adults have had to experience of having that adrenaline rush when all eyes are focused on us but imagine a small child, for her, this can be the first time that the overwhelming feeling of too much attention hits them right before they walk down the aisle. So, what to do?
Explaining to them, especially the two year old, what is going to happen is really meaningless to them. In fact, the more you talk about it, the faster you will see their heads shake with a firm “no”. I hear it on the other end of the phone with the moms as they try to take their measurements for their flower girl dress or ring bearer suit. “Come on honey, let’s take your measurement for the pretty dress we talked about” – and low and behold, I hear the child scream and run away.
Here are my suggestions for the process:
- MEASUREMENTS: As you will need measurements for their outfit, make it a game! Ask them to stand against the wall, and place a pencil on their heads so that they can see the dot; enlist their help to do the measurement. Take a tape measure to the dot and for the age appropriate child, see them read the number to you at the floor. When you take their chest and waist, especially if they are giving you a hard time, ask them to take yours first. Soon, they will allow you to take theirs AND pretty much they will want to take measurements for every person they see!
- PREPARATION: Even the tiny ones will need to understand what they are going to be doing. There are many cute books out there to read or a scene from a movie to help them understand what they will be doing. On our Pegeen website, we have plenty of photos of children walking down the aisle. I point out one particular wedding from our Featured Weddings of the Month for February 2008 when you see the little girls coming down the aisle, with a “line leader” (the oldest, the Jr. Bridesmaid’s) holding a flower garland with the little ones trailing behind. A few photos later, out bursts a little one with a pink sash whom we imagined did not feel quite ready to go down that all too intimidating aisle. http://www.pegeen.com/Images/GALLERY/pegeen-real-weddings5.php#detail1 Preparation, talking, showing books and photos, and even a movie or two isn’t a bad idea.
- THE REHEARSAL: Certainly, the rehearsal is a way for everyone to know their places and responsibilities but for children, the practice doesn’t emphasize how many people the following day (usually the rehearsal is the evening before) will be “staring” at them, and although harmless, it can be very frightening to children, especially small ones. After the rehearsal, it’s not a bad idea to talk to them and let them know (tomorrow) all the people will be there but you know just about every single one! Name many of them and the following day, it can be a game for them to spot their cousins or aunts and uncles, especially if you ask them to sit at the end of the aisle.
- THE WEDDING: This is the toughest time. Remember though, anything they do will be accompanied by chuckles of your guests. The older children, those 6 and older, are usually with it and are not quite a shy as a three year old, so they can help the younger ones. If however the child is “solo” know that there may be some hesitation on their part but they will make it through especially if you prepare beforehand.
For the wedding:
Certainly, the rehearsal is a way for everyone to know their places and responsibilities but for children, the practice doesn’t emphasize how many people the following day (usually the rehearsal is the evening
We suggest that, when possible, consider the following:
- Have them walk down the aisle with older children or their parents.
- Make it a fun place when they get there – books are always good. When mine was little, I kept him busy at the ceremony with cheerios and hid them in my gown.
Here are some fantastic tips for keeping the kids happy at wedding receptions:
- Hire someone to sit with them at the reception
- Can’t say enough about that Kids table – they like the independence
- Many brides are now supplying a “candy” table – okay this is the one time that I can’t say it’s a bad idea – keep it by the deserts but keep tiny fingers off till after their dinner.
Our chat is always open until 11pm, and at certain busy times, till midnight and we are happy to share ideas from other brides. We have a neat page that we put some great ideas on it – one of my favorites is the wagon! http://www.pegeen.com/great-ideas.php
Just added! This lovely tulle flower girl dress, this one being used for a Nutcracker Ballet performance, was added to our Pegeen Couture Collection. The flower girl dress is made in denim blue silk and you can customize this dress in over 200+ colors of silk. There are three, ten layer “tutus” added to the skirt of which two are over 200″ in diameter! Each tier of tulle is done in a unique combination of colors – to go with all those Ombre Themed Weddings.
Blue ombre tulle flower girl dress with over 500″ of 10 layer tulle “tutus” by Pegeen.com
Getting orders out is our priority and enjoying this beautiful fall weather, our second priority! In the past few weeks, we have been eating and breathing flower girl dresses and Nutcracker Costumes for Clara, the Party Scene, Fritz, the Nephew and even Mother Ginger.
We have certainly been busy these past few weeks…. here are just a tiny portion of the dresses and suits to bring a smile to your face! Anything we can help you with – whether for an upcoming performance in the Nutcracker, a winter or fall wedding, or if you are like many of our customers and order your flower girl dress for next October and get a great “Order Now – Ship Later” discount (yes we have plenty of customers who have done that) — we like your questions and are happy to take your calls and chats.
Pink Nutcracker Dress for Clara with optional resizable back – Pegeen Style 760
Ruffled Nutcracker Costume for Clara with over 100 yards of french laces – Pegeen Style 722
Flower Girl Dress in Hibiscus Pink and Gray silk dress with pearls and Cinderella Bow
Flower Girl Dress Style 402 with plum, periwinkle and eggplant silk and tulle
Flower Girl Dress in grass green and ballet pink with hand rolled silk flowers – Pegeen Couture Style 402
Battenburg trimmed party scene dress Nutcracker Costume for Clara s – Pegeen Style 708
Flower Girl Dress Pegeen Classic Style 398 in Blue Indigo and Sunflower
Flower Girl Dress Pegeen Classic Style 315 in in Shock (hot pink) and Lilac
Flower Girl Dress Style 402 with in mango (orange) and cherry (red) silk and tulle
Wedding in just a few weeks?
Rush flower girl dress delivery is never a problem…. just call us!
We are the manufacturer and don’t have to wait for some one to ship it to us. EVERYTHING you see on our website is made in our own factory located here in Orlando – just a few miles from the gates at Disney World!
Call us to have delivered to your home a beautiful and gorgeous custom flower girl dress or ring bearer suit!
“Marg & Pegeen crew – I can’t believe in just 5 days you were able to help rescue my wedding! I purchased dresses from another site, found out they were rip off copies of another US Designer, and they were horribly made. After crying, I called the designer who said they wouldn’t be able to help me! Then I found your site. We found 4 dresses from you that went beutifully with my bridesmaids and were a similar style and color but SO much cheaper. More than anything, you also took care of a 5th girl – a plus size girl who was HUMILIATED by the nation bridal chain store who said “just get her a woman’s dress and cut it down” … well, you are saints. EVERYONE should buy from Pegeen.com – you guys are at the top of the pinnacle of great design, great quality and fantastic customer service.” Jenny B from Altoona PA
RUSH DELIVERY Rush flower girl dresses are available. The lucky thing, we own our own factory and are able – when timing permits – to slip in another order without interfering with other orders on the weekends. SHIPPING IS ADDITIONAL. Rush orders may not be cancelled under any circumstances as our company has to jump through hoops to get this done for you in time. Further information may be found in your confirmation letter and on our Guarantee page.
SUPER RUSH Arrives in 2 – 14 days +$50 or REGULAR RUSH Arrives in 3 weeks +$25. (fabric in stock permitting/air freight is extra)
Today we posted at least 10 new Party Scene Dresses for the Nutcracker Ballet. Every season for Clara’s special Nutcracker Performance gets more and more exciting for me. As a former dance, making costumes with our seamstresses is my favorite time of the year. Clara and Party Scene Dresses for the Nutcracker are available in girls sizes through 16 and plus sizes and in over 200+ colors of silk.
Every once in a while, I have the opportunity to imagine what it would be like to have a little girl, even though I was blessed with two great boys. If I did, this pink and flower flower girl dress surely would be at the top of my list to put her in!
Ballet Pink and Cloud Blue ballerina style Flower Girl Dresses with layers of crystal tulle
Our favorite flower girl dress of the week, and likely my all time FAVORITE, this custom silk flower girl dress is made of ballet pink silk, with a cloud blue sash and our Pegeen Signature Bustle and the most beautiful silk hand rolled flowers!
We Proudly Launch our Fairytale Collection for Flower Girls at a special price for our Indiegogo Supporters!
Pegeen.com Designer Childrenswear announces the launch of their Fairytale Collection through a Crowd Funding campaign. What exactly is crowd funding? The easiest way to describe it is this:
- Crowd funding is when a Business (like ours) posts a project available for funding on a crowd-funding site (in our case indiegogo.com) to help get backers interested in our products and company.
- In return for backing a project, our customers receive different rewards depending on the amount of funding they commit (from levels of $5 through $500) and also with a very special opportunity, that is to collaborate with Pegeen and help design, name and receive the dress you designed along with our ensuring someone who is less fortunate or has a very special wish to receive a dress so they can be a princess too!
- Interested backers donate during the project, sharing our campaign over their social networks with their friends and contacts
- What we receive in exchange for your support is the ability to expand greatly our advertising and marketing budget as we grow our company to an even higher level
- What you will receive are various rewards, the opportunity to be able to say that you helped our company realize our dream of growing our business to the next level, and someday even, to fulfill our dream of being able to open a store (s) in the Downtown Disney area and beyond.
- Moreover, Pegeen has arranged with a few organizations to be sure that we can provide to someone in need a princess dress of their very own through some really great charities like Give Kids a World. We are reaching out to Wounded Warriors and Make a Wish foundation as well.
Everyone can participate even at the smallest of levels and know that Pegeen is one company who will REFUSE to outsource to other countries the manufacturing of our goods. In addition, you will help with building within our community the opportunity to share our really beautiful dresses with some really sick and needy kids so that they can become princesses too!
We hope that you will listen to our pitch and pass it on to friends as well!
We Proudly Launch our Fairytale Collection for Flower Girls at a special price for our Indiegogo Supporters!
For details click the link above for the video.
What your contribution to our campaign would mean to us:
We at Pegeen know that we create exquisite and well made products, not just for girls, but for boys as well. We are really proud of what we have accomplished in 33 years started by the talents of Marg Hyland. Behind the scenes are still the husband and wife team of Marg and Jim whose union formed just four years into the company’s origin and who steadfastly believe that answering the phone, producing in the US and dedication continue to help steer the company’s mission: to create beautiful clothing for children to remain looking like children. Joining the couple are some very dedicated seamstresses and one heck of a talented web developer.
Pegeen is always anxious to grow. Moreover, it’s a personal endeavor. “When I see the garbage that is coming in from China as counterfeit goods, I am mortified. I realize everyone has financial constraints but our job at Pegeen is to price our dresses so that a reasonable amount of people will make sure that their children wear heirloom quality goods. By offering our garments on the internet we actually can offer our creations without the markup of a retailer. We will continue to do so while improving the way our customers can purchase our goods.”
We really want to thank Addie Brie Hays for her wonderful participation in this project, Bill Frank for his guitar accompaniment and Rob Fong for an unbelievable new website and our now famous Pegeen Dress Dreamer!
For more information on our campaign and info on how you can help make a little girl feel like a princess, click the link below.
FAIRYTALES COME TRUE: Pegeen Childrenswear
We are wrapping up our Summer Wedding shipments and starting to get some of our early September weddings out the door. Look at the great colors of some of these fantastic colors our brides have chosen for August/September weddings for their flower girl dresses!
Our customer above has purchased from us many times. For this flower girl dress for her daughter (really a junior bridesmaid), she choose a combination of Boing (hot pink) and Sapphire Blue with a V-Back, covered buttons and cummerbund. The bodice was covered with pearls. This is flower girl dress style is from the Pegeen Classics line – style #370 and the changes she made were minor.
Our special semi-annual sale is now over.
You may continue to purchase dresses at our special reduced prices of $109 for our Pegeen Classic line – to $199 for our Pegeen Couture Dresses.
Flower girl dresses at special discounted prices. Click for inventory.